Pre-Service Teacher Education (PSTE)
To serve as the nodal branch for the following:
- Organizing pre-service course for elementary school teachers and to provide academic inputs into such course is the subjects represented in the Branch.
- Propagation of (a) learner centered education and (b) education for personality development (including value and cultural education) through training, extension, preparation of suitable teaching aids, action researches etc.
- All general matters concerning teaching methodology and specific matters concerning teaching methodology of the school NFE ( Non Formal Education) subjects represented in the Branch.
- Maintenance of science Lab, Psychology equipment, Resource Room for Education of Disabled children, Rooms for Art education, and equipments and facilities for sports and Physical Education.
- Promotion of and support to co-curricular activities in areas related t the substantive work of branch, e.g. debates and elocution, literature, Science Fairs, Visual and Performing Arts, Sports and Physical Education competitions, Yoga, Hobbies etc.
Work Experience (WE)
- To identify locally relevant WE areas and incorporation with concerned nodal branches, to develop sample curricular units, teaching learning material, low cost teaching aids and evaluation tools/techniques in such areas.
- To organize activities for cleanliness, upkeep and development of the Institute Programmeus and its surroundings and for basic maintenance of institute furniture and other property.
- To maintain Workshop/Farm/Garden for WE activities.
- To promote work related hobbies among trainees of the institute.
District Resource Unit (DRU)
- To assist educational authorities in planning and coordination of training programmes for AE/NFE (Adult Education/Non Formal Education) personal throughout the district and to provide necessary support to such programmes organized outside the DIET.
- To evaluate and monitor the quality and efficiency of training programmes for NFE/AE personnel held in and outside the DIET and to strive for their continuous improvement.
- To undertake field interaction work vis-à-vis the AE/NFE projects and centers in the district and to act as the referral unit or academic problems thrown up by the field in the areas of AE/NFE.
- To undertake action research in all areas relevant for making NFE/AE more effective-in collaboration with other branches, to the extent necessary.
- To provide AE/NFE related inputs into all programmes of the institute, especially pre-service and in-service education programmes for teachers.
In-service Programmes, Fields Interaction & Innovation Coordination (IFIC)
- To assist educational authorities in planning and coordination of in-service education programmes for elementary teachers throughout the district, and to plan and coordinate such programmes held in the DIET.
- To evaluate and monitor the quality and efficiency of in-service programmes held in and outside the DIET, and to strive for their continuous improvement.
- To serve as a reference and resource centres for teachers who wish to continue their education.
Curriculum, Material Development and Evaluation (CMDE)
- To adopt existing items & develop new items of the following kinds so that they suit local circumstances, and can be used in elementary education and elementary teacher education programmes.
- Teaching learning for general as well as locally developed curricular units- especially primers for classes I and II in tribal languages in districts having substantial tribal population.
- Techniques and guild lines for continuous and summative learner-evaluation.
- Tests, question/item banks, rating scales, observation schedules, guidelines for diagnostic testing/remedial programmes talent identification procedures etc.
- To undertake testing on sample basis to assess achievement levels among learners, especially with reference to minimum levels prescribed for the primary and upper stage and for adult learners under NLM.
Educational Technology (ET)
- To develop in collaboration with concerned staff of the DIET and other resource persons, simple, effective and low-cost teaching aids for various subjects/areas relevant to elementary education and elementary teacher education – charts, diagrams, models, photographs, slides, audio tapes, play scripts, songs etc.
- To maintain the following:
Planning & Management (P & M)
- To maintain an appropriate database for the district this may be required for various planning exercises aimed at the UPE/UEE/NLM goals and for monitoring progress towards these goals.
- To provide technical assistance to educational authorities in (i) school mapping (ii) Micro planning for UPE/AUEE in an area specific and target group specific manner, (iii) formation and activation of school complexes, schools etc, and (v)Institutional evaluation.
- To serve as the nodal branch in relation to all programmes of community involvement in basic education, and in particular, to conduct orientation programmes for members of DBE, VECs, community leaders, youth and other voluntary educational workers.
- To act as the nodal branch for preparing quin-quennial and annual institutional plans and annual self evaluation reports for the DIET, and for liaising with DBE.
- To act as the nodal branch for preparing quin-quennial and annual institutional plans and annual self evaluation reports for the DIET, and for liaising with DBE..